Get to Know Metro's Farebox
More choices, more savings, more reasons to ride. Metro's fareboxes make it easier and more convenient to go*Metro. For every ride, exact fare is required. No change or refunds can be given.
* Accepts all U.S. coins
Paying with Coins
* Important: drop one coin at a time to prevent jams. The farebox will reject all other coins.
Paying with Bills
*Accepts $1, $2, $5 and $10 U.S. bills.
* Farebox will reject torn, worn, and extremely soiled U.S. bills and all non-U.S. currency.
Paying with Passes
* Swipe 30-day rolling passes or Day Pass through the magnetic pass reader.
* Regional stored-value cards, available in $10, $20, and $30 quantities, can be used like cash on all Metro and Tank buses to purchase rides and discounted fares such as Fare Deal, children’s fares or UC or Cincinnati State fares, and even for multiple riders. Riders must tell the driver what they are paying for before they insert the cards into the slot on top of the farebox. Metro’s farebox will deduct fare from the stored-value card on each ride until all funds have been used.
* NOTE: Only Day Passes are available for purchase on buses. Click on Where To Buy to find vending machines and sales offices.
Special Program Passes
Swipe the below passes through the magnetic pass reader and show the pass to the bus operator. Any fare due will be displayed for you to see.