Jun 12, 2017
S.O.R.T.A. BOARD TO CONSIDER LEVY DECISION AT SPECIAL EVENING MEETING
There will be a special evening SORTA board meeting on Tuesday, June 20 at 6 p.m.
CINCINNATI – Today, the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority’s Planning & Operations Committee voted to move a resolution to the SORTA Board that would prepare the organization for a Hamilton County sales tax levy in 2018.
As part of the commitment to transparency and accessibility, there will be a special evening SORTA board meeting on Tuesday, June 20 at 6 p.m. The meeting will be held in the Tower Room of The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Main Branch, 800 Vine St. in Downtown Cincinnati, and is open to the public.
At this meeting, the board will consider today’s resolution to seek a Hamilton County sales tax in 2018.
“As a board, we have done our due diligence and will do more because we are committed to the process. We’ve conducted research, held listening sessions throughout the region and have engaged in robust discussions with the community about our current funding situation,” said SORTA Board Chair Jason Dunn. “Now it will take community will, continued support of riders and engagement from policy and civil leaders to position this regional transportation system to be relevant with a long-term funding source.”
“Again, this will take community will and I am confident the people will step up to the plate,” Dunn added.
SORTA has engaged in extensive planning and outreach efforts, including:
- Work with AECOM transit planning consultant to refine potential service enhancements if more funding is secured
- 10 community listening sessions throughout Hamilton County from May 8-11 to seek further input on AECOM’s projected service enhancements
- Meetings with elected leaders throughout the county to learn about their residents’ unique transit needs
- A discussion with bloggers and transit advocates in June
- “Women on the Move” transit forum for women riders, non-riders and community leaders hosted by three female SORTA board members
- An online survey seeking community input from riders and non-riders regarding Metro, the service it provides and enhancements being considered
- SORTA is a political subdivision of the state of Ohio, providing about 15 million rides per year in Greater Cincinnati.