Jun 11, 2017
RIDE METRO ON NATIONAL DUMP THE PUMP DAY
Spread the word about the many benefits of public transportation
CINCINNATI – Metro will join transit agencies around the country on June 15 for the 12th Annual Dump the Pump Day, which encourages people to ride public transportation instead of driving a car.
Metro is asking the community to help spread the word about the many benefits of public transportation and to ride Metro to show how public transportation saves riders money and helps them reduce their environmental footprint.
According to the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), public transportation:
- Saves money – A two-person household can save $9,823 yearly on average by downsizing to one car
- Saves fuel and reduces congestion - In 2011, public transportation saved 865 million hours of travel time and 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline
- Provides economic opportunities and growth - Every $1 invested in public transportation generates approximately $4 in economic returns
- Reduces national carbon footprint - 37 million metric tons annually
- Enhances personal opportunities - Provides access to school, work, medical appointments and entertainment
Visit Metro's website to calculate how much money a person can save annually by dumping the pump.
Metro is a non-profit, tax-funded public service of the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority, providing about 15 million rides per year.