Proposed Streetcar Services Hours Presented to City's Major Transportation Committee
CINCINNATI – In December,Cincinnati City Council’s Major Transportation & Regional Cooperation Committee directed the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority to recommend hours and frequency of service for the Cincinnati Streetcar. Today, Paul Grether, SORTA’s Rail Services Director, will share the recommended alternative with the committee:
- Recommended span of service:
Sunday and holidays: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Monday-Thursday: 6:30 a.m. – midnight
Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
- Recommended frequency:
Base frequency: 15 minutes
Peak (Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.): 12 minutes
In making this recommendation, SORTA considered many factors:
- Council input
- Comments from public (Title VI public meetings, outreach to constituents)
- Regulatory requirements with the Federal Transit Administration
- Transdev operating and maintenance contract
- Bus ridership and connections (local and express)
- Weekend activity locations and hours, including parking garage data
- Technical scheduling issues, consistency of schedule, and related costs
- Other cities’ experience
City Council is being asked for agreement with the recommendation. SORTA will create the operating budget based on the agreed upon service level, as well as funding projections from the City. SORTA will then submit the streetcar budget to the City for final approval this spring. This process is being conducted under the terms of the Operating & Maintenance Intergovernmental Agreement between the City and SORTA.
Background: Opening in September 2016, the Cincinnati Streetcar connects The Banks and riverfront, downtown and Over the Rhine. The Cincinnati Streetcar is owned and funded by the City of Cincinnati. The Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority will manage the streetcar under contract with the City of Cincinnati. Transdev will handle day-to-day operations and maintenance activities under contract to SORTA.