More choices, more savings, more reasons to ride. Metro's fareboxes make it easier and more convenient to go*Metro.
For every ride, exact fare is required. No change or refunds can be given at this time.
* Accepts all U.S. coins from pennies through dollar coins.
* Important: drop one coin at a time to prevent jams. The farebox will reject all other coins.
* NOTE: Tokens are no longer accepted in Metro Fareboxes. Token FAQs.
* Accepts $1, $2, $5 and $10 U.S. bills.
* Farebox will reject torn, worn, and extremely soiled U.S. bills and all non-U.S. currency.
* Swipe the rolling 30-day passes or Day Pass through the magnetic pass reader.
* Regional stored-value cards are available in $10, $20, and $30 quantities. Regional Stored-Value Cards which can be used on all Metro and Tank buses, can be used like cash to pay all zone fares, buy transfers, pay discounted fares such as Fare Deal, children’s fares or UC or Cincinnati State fares, and even for multiple riders. Riders must tell the driver what they are paying for before they insert the cards into the slot on top of the farebox. Metro’s farebox will deduct fare from the stored-value card on each ride until all funds have been used.
* NOTE: Only Day Passes are available for purchase on buses. Click on Where To Buy to find vending machines and sales offices.
Swipe these passes through the magnetic pass reader as you currently do and show the pass to the bus operator. Any fare due will be displayed for you to see.
* Fare Deal card
* University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati State passes
* Xtra Service passes issued by Cincinnati Public Schools
All transfers are issued and validated by Metro's fareboxes.
* The transfer time period will start at the time you board the bus and pay your fare.
* For this reason, Metro has extended the transfer time period from 90 minutes to the current 120 minutes to allow adequate time for customers to make their connections.
* Transfers cost 50 cents and you may use transfers to ride any route in any direction within the time printed on the transfer, on up to two additional buses.
* Upon the second use or when the time is up, the farebox will mark the transfer as EXPIRED and it will no longer be valid.
* You must pay the full fare and the $0.50 transfer charge to receive a transfer.
* Other transfer policies and procedures remain in effect.